12.13.2008

Klaatu barada nicto.

Saw The Day the Earth Stood Still last night.

How to keep this post relatively short...hmm.

In both the original and the remake, the little boy's father has died in the war. He and Klaatu visit the grave at Arlington.

In the remake, the boy (played by Will Smith's son, Jaden) is lamenting how his father left him.

Klaatu replies (and I paraphrase), "You know, nothing ever really dies. The universe wastes nothing. Things are merely transformed."

Earlier in the movie, Professor Barnhardt (played by John Cleese) is reasoning with Klaatu about the impending end of the world, saying how many civilizations have come to a major crisis, and many have been destroyed. But sometimes, in the nearness of destruction, we as humans realize how much we are capable of, and we change accordingly, we evolve. Instead of diverting what can be the 'end of the world,' it is possible to allow such circumstances to create something worth more than what came before.

A few weeks ago I posted a single thought, ganked shamelessly from someone's e-mail signature: "Just when the caterpillar thought its life was over, it turned into a butterfly."

Normally I find e-mail signatures cheeky and pendantic...but this one has always stayed with me. Imagine knowing - without a doubt, you're sure - that you are going to die. Everything is coming to ruins. Light is being snuffed out. Time is about to stop. Death is here.

And then...you transform, into something more beautiful and free than you ever knew existed.

For these reasons, I found The Day the Earth Stood Still more than worth my time.

5 comments:

Don said...

I enjoyed your post, and I offer a poetic response...

What if...

What if
death were
only a door...

What if
death were
only a commencement...

What if
caterpillars
die
only to become
butterflies?

What if...

Sherrie said...

My thoughts exactly. :)

You should see the movie!!

Rebel Mel said...

I like that quote about the caterpillar and the butterfly. It's cute.

I am extremely non-optimistic, it sucks. I wish I could see the glass half full more often than I do.

With my boss? There is no story behind it. We were supposed to go to a Christmas party at noon, but we had an computer tech guy come in, so we didn't end up going to the party until 3pm, which took place at a bar. My boss just dropped us off with 37 bucks and took off. It was pretty interesting.

And with my christmas bonus? I think I am just going to save it, and when I get my taxes back I will see what I can afford to get.

Elisabetta said...

I am definitely looking forward to seeing the film. Maybe I'll get to see it before I take my trip :0)

Another thought to ponder...
People often are afraid of dying because they don't look at it as a transcendence to a better place. They clutch so wholly to this world when we are mere vessells on a journey and death just begins the next path of our journey.

As my good friend, People don't live their lives ready to die. Amen!

Epoem said...

I just recently finished reading a book, The Sacred Art of Dying by Kenneth Kramer. It discusses from the perspective of various religions how death is most properly viewed as a vehicle of transcendence toward spiritual rebirth within this life.

The book illuminated how religions use symbols of creation or the beginning of a life within their sacred traditions surrounding death.

It's all one and the same.