8.19.2018

New music part 3/Music roundup.

Lots to cover!

Joseph. Discovered via Pandora. This trio of sisters from Joseph, Oregon is rooted in folk sensibility but also manages to defy description over the course of three albums; if I were to try I'd call it neo-alt-folk. Their first album, Native Dreamer Kin, is firmly three-part harmony swelling over acoustic accompaniment, with gorgeous standout "Tell Me There's a Garden"; the second, I'm Alone No You're Not, was produced by Mike Mogis and joins the strengths of their harmonies and songwriting with modern accoutrements. Tracks like "Planets" and "Sweet Dreams" bring the neo-folk; "S.O.S." and "Blood and Tears" sound like chart-toppers from the early 90s; and "More Alive Than Dead" is just insanely beautiful, evoking the quiet, mystical forests of the northwest with just a muted piano, that harmony, and a soft river of synths.

Their most recent album, Stay Awake, is a short seven tracks which sounds frankly like the sisters singing whatever the hell they please. There's a cover of "Everybody Wants to Rule the World," a stripped down, folksier cover of their own song "Planets," and a synthesized, beat-heavy version of, again, their own track "Lifted Away" from Native Dreamer Kin. It also features one of my newest favorite jams, "Moonlight Mile." These sisters are mega-talented and their music is endlessly listenable; check 'em out!


Haim. Yes, I know I'm late to the Haim party, and here's why: back in 2014 when their debut album came out, I swear they were described as a folk trio. I swear. But they're not, they just are again a trio of sisters who sing in perfect harmony - over perfectly produced pop. That wasn't my bag at the time so I let it go, and gave them another chance this summer with their newest, Something to Tell You. It's still perfectly produced pop, but so dang catchy.

I don't require that singers also be songwriters and instrumentalists, but I love when young talented women go all in, as Haim does (and Joseph, and First Aid Kit, and...). They have an inherent sense of rhythm which they display in an impressive use of percussion, and they also know their influences inside and out - you can attach almost every song to not just a genre or era but a specific act. Throughout the album you'll hear Prince, George Michael, TLC, MJ, Florence + the Machine, Phil Collins, etc. Something to Tell You is impeccably produced and a ton of fun; go listen!


Lykke Li. Despite the fact that I don't know quite how to pronounce the Swedish songstress's name, I'm pimping her new album anyway. This is another one of those artists who I'm always told I should listen to, but I end up having to wait for just the right sound. Lykke Li's first three albums were heavy on emotionalism and, over time, almost a wall-of-sound aesthetic, and fit pretty well into the musical landscape of their time (you listen to her first album, released in 2008, and can't help but think, Regina Spektor).

This time, though, with So Sad So Sexy she has Tokyo-drifted into the synth pop scene and to dazzling results. If you just want your beats and your reverbs and your uber-catchy hooks (with a hint of trap), this is where it's at at the moment. Just listen to "Swimming Pool," "Last Piece," or my favorite, "Jaguars in the Air" and try to get them out of your head. Bonus points to Lykke Li and the team for doing an absolutely spot-on emulation of Promise of a New Day-era Paula Abdul with the penultimate track "Bad Woman." (I really hope Ellie Goulding is taking notes)


Amy Shark. I can't even remember how I stumbled on her but I love her EP Night Thinker. Everything is on point - the lyrics, the melodies, the hooks, the soundscapes. "Worst Girl" is exuberantly 80s (even with the weird intrusions by some rapper? singer?) and "Adore" is a love anthem for the tomboys to sway to. Only thing is her full-length album is now out, and it's more acoustically-driven and therefore sounds somewhat different that NT. I haven't been able to get into it.

Jaira Burns. I literally saw her deep in the 'new releases' area of Prime Music and took a chance; her candy-colored album cover looked promising, what can I say? Burn Slow is her debut and, like So Sad So Sexy, is steeped in synth pop, utilizing a wide range of sampling that works extremely well. Even though her set is relatively short at eight songs, it's still chock-full of great stuff and I hope she gets some exposure.

Lily Allen. Girl is a mess, but her 2006 album Alright, Still was amazing. I felt like her subsequent efforts were just that - too much of an effort, not much that felt inspired. Her latest album No Shame has now dropped and I dig it. Not all of it, but a few of the songs are definitely her best. Check out "Come On Then," "Apples," "Three," and "Everything to Feel Something."

Florence + the Machine. You know it. I may devote a post to a full review of her new album High as Hope so for now I'll simply say that I don't think I've listened to an album this obsessively since maybe Mariah's Vision of Love. We're talking, 10+ times a day. It's her best, which is interesting because it is the first album that departs from her signature sound.

Where are the men at?! I guess I'm waiting for Mumford and Hozier to give us something new; Ray LaMontagne put out another album this year and again it was underwhelming. Lo-Fang has put out a single finally but he also has been taking more than the recommended dose of peyote and running with goats, so I'm going to just cross my fingers there. I feel like I'm going to have to just pinch my nostrils shut and dive in to a whole new pool of male musical talent, so we'll see what I can come up with.

No comments: